A #1 game changer for your to-do list
June 11, 2019
Motivation can be hard to find sometimes. We're all human and we're far from perfect sometimes. That's why having a good planner (the right planner) can not only help you form the right routine that motivates you but it can also help you get back on track when you have a little slip up.
You might feel that you’re getting organized just because you've got everything you want to achieve on today’s to-do list. Truth is, a long to-do list can act as a de-motivator, stopping you from actually getting anything done. And trust me when I say this, I've been there.
A long to-do list can act as a de-motivator, stopping you from actually getting anything done.
So what do you do? Well, it's honestly quite simple. You write down your 3 Most Important Tasks (MIT's) the night before. Two factors are most important here: you limit your tasks to 3 and you write them the night before. If you’re panicking right now just at the thought of all the things that will be left undone just breathe. We're going to walk you through it.
// Why should I write down my MIT's the night before?
- It’s a great time to assess what you've just achieved in the last 24 hours (so you can go into the next day feeling on track with your goals).
- You won’t lie awake thinking about what you have to do the next day; give your mind some rest and actually get the sleep you deserve in order for you to efficient the next day.
- When you wake up you will feel motivated because you've got a purpose. You already know what you're working on today...get it!
// Why should I limit my to-do list to 3 items a day?
We know this is a tough one but think about it: how many tasks do you really actually get done every day? We're not talking about the small tasks that you're putting in your Get It Done Planner's Secondary Tasks list here, we are talking about big tasks that involve time, attention and diligence.
- A long list kills your motivation...it's as simple as that.
- Limiting the number of items on your to-do list will increase your motivation because you feel a sense of achievement at the end of the day (having just completed your 3 tasks)
- With only 3 tasks on your list you are motivated to get started on them before being sucked into your inbox in the morning.
// What happens to the rest of the items on my list?
- Write them down on a separate list or under "Secondary Tasks" in your Get It Done Planner so you can get some peace of mind.
- Remember though: this is not your main to-do list. It's a list of tasks that need to get done and what you can do is use that list to choose your next 3 to-do's for the following day.
So from now on when you get home from work, after you've had dinner, write down the 3 most important tasks (MITs) you want to accomplish the next day. Give them each a priority order if you can and feel like it. Then relax for the evening and wake up feeling motivated.
MORE FROM DISTILD
get it done
STIL IRL: Domunique La’Shay
Since the beginning, we've been a company by women for women. Over the years, we've helped so many amazing women be their best, organized selves. To continue to inspire you to take charge of your busy days and social lives, we wanted to introduce some of the women in our community who are taking action.
12 month planner
5 Stylish Things to Set Yourself Up For a Successful Fall
As you transition into Fall and back into a more structured routine, it can be nice to take some time to get organized. Work and life continue to look different, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a clear vision of success in both your personal life and your professional life. Here are five stylish things you need to set yourself up for a successful Fall.
Why Your Evening Routine Is Just As Important As Your Morning Routine
So far, 2020 has been a chaotic year (to say the least). Even so, bringing structure into our lives through routines and rituals is imperative now more than ever to help us maintain a sense of balance and stability during these troubling times.
5 Things We Stopped Doing To Boost Productivity
I think most of us would agree that ‘productivity’ looks a little different right now. Although most of our days are far from typical, we’ll take anything that makes us feel like we’re, slowly but surely, returning to some sense of normalcy. So even if it seems counter-intuitive, sometimes the best thing you can do for your productivity is to slow down.
How To Use Washi Tape In Your Planner
A huge part of staying organized while working from home or preparing to go back to work is putting your planner to good use. We want to share with you how we use our planner with our Washi Tapes so that you can crush your goals from home this quarter.
Meet the Mothers of STIL
We love that we set aside an entire day to honour the women in our lives who raised us. Our mothers are strong, resilient, and selfless and did everything in their power to instil this within us. Mother’s Day holds a special place in our hearts because it reminds us to celebrate the most challenging and rewarding job of all – being a mom.