A #1 game changer for your to-do list
June 11, 2019
Motivation can be hard to find sometimes. We're all human and we're far from perfect sometimes. That's why having a good planner (the right planner) can not only help you form the right routine that motivates you but it can also help you get back on track when you have a little slip up.
You might feel that you’re getting organized just because you've got everything you want to achieve on today’s to-do list. Truth is, a long to-do list can act as a de-motivator, stopping you from actually getting anything done. And trust me when I say this, I've been there.
A long to-do list can act as a de-motivator, stopping you from actually getting anything done.
So what do you do? Well, it's honestly quite simple. You write down your 3 Most Important Tasks (MIT's) the night before. Two factors are most important here: you limit your tasks to 3 and you write them the night before. If you’re panicking right now just at the thought of all the things that will be left undone just breathe. We're going to walk you through it.
// Why should I write down my MIT's the night before?
- It’s a great time to assess what you've just achieved in the last 24 hours (so you can go into the next day feeling on track with your goals).
- You won’t lie awake thinking about what you have to do the next day; give your mind some rest and actually get the sleep you deserve in order for you to efficient the next day.
- When you wake up you will feel motivated because you've got a purpose. You already know what you're working on today...get it!
// Why should I limit my to-do list to 3 items a day?
We know this is a tough one but think about it: how many tasks do you really actually get done every day? We're not talking about the small tasks that you're putting in your Get It Done Planner's Secondary Tasks list here, we are talking about big tasks that involve time, attention and diligence.
- A long list kills your motivation...it's as simple as that.
- Limiting the number of items on your to-do list will increase your motivation because you feel a sense of achievement at the end of the day (having just completed your 3 tasks)
- With only 3 tasks on your list you are motivated to get started on them before being sucked into your inbox in the morning.
// What happens to the rest of the items on my list?
- Write them down on a separate list or under "Secondary Tasks" in your Get It Done Planner so you can get some peace of mind.
- Remember though: this is not your main to-do list. It's a list of tasks that need to get done and what you can do is use that list to choose your next 3 to-do's for the following day.
So from now on when you get home from work, after you've had dinner, write down the 3 most important tasks (MITs) you want to accomplish the next day. Give them each a priority order if you can and feel like it. Then relax for the evening and wake up feeling motivated.
MORE FROM DISTILD
It's time I re-introduce myself
My name is Marissa and I started STIL with the intention of creating a planner that worked for me, organized my life and fit my lifestyle. As a self-proclaimed pen-to-paper girl with a background in design, I found myself in 2014 on the hunt for a planner that looked professional, fit my style, and was highly functional and now here we are 7 years later.
Six ways to reduce your anxiety
We know what it feels like to be overwhelmed with life. Now more than ever it’s important to prioritize your mental health. If you’ve experienced either only mild, or severe, anxiety there are habits you can create that work towards a calmer mind.
Let's do some manifesting
We're always trying to find ways to re-inspire and reinvigorate you and your planning journey. So as we are approach the six month mark of 2021 (WOA) we thought we would help you channel some positivity into the next six months of the year through manifestation. This principle is similar to the law of attraction where a negative thought will produce a negative outcome and positive thought a positive one.
It's time for a spring clean!
Spring is coming! Once a year, it's a good idea to look over your life and give everything a little tidying . To help you on your way, our Founder shares her to do list for her own little life audit.
12 month planner
Mother's Day Gift Guide: The Perfect Gift For Mom
With Mother’s Day just around the corner, we’ve done the work for you and gathered all the best gifts for you to consider getting the most important woman in your life.